Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Thing 4

I spent time this weekend exploring the new Minneapolis Public Library. I'm wondering if everything I work on for this class will be overwhelming. It was a beautiful building with more resources than I could possibly mention. The collections of sheet music was something I hadn't seen before, wow! The children's section was incredible. I even got to your the stacks on the rails where they hide a gazillion older books. The teen center was packed. My guide shared with me that they had teens help design it and they must have done a great job. There was homework help, students researching, reading, and just hanging out. This space was very user friendly and the kids were obviously very comfortable. I need to go back and spend some more time checking things out. The details were amazing, little car mice on the kids computers and areas for all populations to hang out. The help available at all times to answer questions just look for the big lit up "i". I offer extra credit to my students who have a library card. I'm also considering a field trip to the libary here in Chaska. It is within walking distance to our school and what a great way to get students interested in the library. There is even a huge city park right across the street where we could have lunch! The ideas are flowing!

2 comments:

Mr.Rother said...

I am so jealous!!I have been meaning to get out to the new Minneapolis library since it opened!! That may just have to be my New Year's resolution...is that nerdy!?

Jeanne LaMoore said...

Like Travis, I've wanted to go to the new library, but just haven't made it happen yet. Maybe we should do a group field trip! Thanks for sharing your experience, Kelly. I'm so excited about our spring trip to the Chaska library - it should be fun for us and the kids! Woo hoo!